The Scientific Mission Centre (SMC) is part of the global management and processing system of the TARANIS mission. It must make it possible for the scientific community to best exploit the onboard instruments by providing it with the necessary resources to manage and control the experiments, to draw up workplans and measures, and to process and distribute information.
SMC key functions are:
- preparing the in-flight experiment schedule and more generally the operational management of instruments and the scientific payload,
- recovering scientific and technological data in band X and housekeeping data in band S,
- managing auxiliary data (ephemeris, attitude, band S and band X station visibility, orbital events),
- processing scientific data,
- processing auxiliary data (orbit determination and attitude computations),
- processing and displaying technological data,
- short term archive organisation,
- making data and results available, firstly to laboratories involved in the experiments and then to the entire scientific community,
- user management,
- operation management.
The SMC is located at the LPC2E/CNES in Orléans. The LPC2E is the co-prime contractor of the SMC with CNES. The LPC2E provides coordination with all laboratories involved. Operational decisions related to the scientific payload will be taken by the SMC.